Some people make things far more complicated than they need to be, gnocchi isn’t hard to make, it’s just a little time consuming but with this recipe you won’t need to worry about making things difficult for yourself.
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup of flour
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft, drain and leave to cool.
- Once completely cooled mash the potatoes or run them through a ricer until you have a smooth mash.
- Add the flour a little at a time and kneed until you have a dough adding flour as needed until you can work into a ball without sticking.
- Break the dough into two sections and roll out into long sausages about 2 cm in diameter.
- Using a floured pastry cutter or knife cut the roll into gnocchi pieces, place these in a bowl and coat with flour to stop them sticking together.
- Boil a large pan of water, once boiling add a few of the gnocchi pieces at a time and allow them to cook for two minutes, they should all be floating by then.
- Remove them from the pan using a slotted spoon, place in a bowl and coat with olive oil, continue doing this a few pieces at a time until you have cooked all the pieces.
- Cover with your favorite sauce – I served mine with a homemade basil and walnut pesto.