So I made a lovely sausage casserole for the house since we all needed a little comfort food and rather than use a packet sauce I decided to make it from scratch using a recipe I found online. I have to say the sauce could have been thicker but I think this was more my doing than that of the recipe. Anyway here it is if you want to give it a go yourself:
8 pork sausages
1 White onion – chopped
3 Carrots – chopped
1 Clove garlic – chopped
1 Bay leaf
1 Tin chopped tomatoes
*If you are using ceramic or glass casserole dish you’ll have to start this in a frying pan then transfer it, if you’re using a stove-friendly dish you can do it all in one.
Preheat oven to 150 c
1. Brown the sausages in a little oil to seal them – they made need longer if you are using frozen sausages.
2. Once the sausages have sealed, remove to a clean dish. Then add the veggies and a clove of chopped garlic, fry for a few minutes then put a lid on the pan, turn down the heat and let them sweat for about 10 mins.
3. Next pour in a glug of red wine and cook out for about 5 mins to drive off any bitter alcohol taste. Stir in a squirt of tomato puree and the herbs.
4. Add the tomatoes and enough stock to cover the veg and sausages.
5. Once it gets back to the boil, pop a lid on and into the oven it goes for about an hour at 150 c.